Why is Stinging Nettle this Holistic Housewife’s favorite wild green? The entire plant is full of amazing healing properties. The roots, stem and leaves are full of goodness. Once you are fully aware of the benefits of stinging nettle, I’m sure you will want to put on some boots, jeans, long sleeves and gloves and go harvest some up for yourself! This is a perfect ingredient for all Holistic Housewives Healing Tricks!
Stinging Nettle is rich in vitamins, such as A, C, D, E, and K as well as the B vitamin varieties of thiamine (B1) and riboflavin (B2). It also has phenolic tannins. It is loaded with calcium, chromium, cobalt, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, silicon, sulfur, and zinc. Stinging nettle is also high in chlorophyll and β-carotene content.
One of my favorite books on Holistic Healing and Living is Susun S. Weed’s book Wise Woman Herbal Healing Wise. It is fantastic. This is what she has to say about Sister Spinster (Stinging Nettle).
Nettle leaves and stalks are an everyday nourisher ~ Fresh young leaves is an excellent source of minerals, vitamins and amino acids.
- Nettle leaves and stalks are an energetic changer
- Nettle leaves and stalks are a marvelous kidney/adrenal ally ~ Nettle has an amazing ability to heal kidney cells. The usual curative dose is one or two cups of infusion daily for 10 – 12 weeks or longer.
- Nettle leaves and stalks are a digestive restorative ~ Nettle improves digestion and prevents stomach ache. Try a nettle sitz bath to heal hemorrhoids.
- Nettle leaves and stalks are a respiratory strengthener ~ Make nettle juice and blend with water and honey to heal bronchial and respiratory issues, stop internal bleeding and curb excess mucus. Use this nettle honey and Holistic Housewives’ ways when healing those with colds, flu, asthma, bloody coughs, bronchitis, pneumonia and other respiratory disease.
- Nettle leaves and stalks are an ally for women ~ Two cups of nettle infusion daily will nourish and stabilize energy in the reproductive/hormonal systems, build nutrient-rich blood and expand the cells’ capacity to metabolize nutrients. Nettle can help with night sweats, exhaustion, anemia, chronic profuse menstrual flow, as well as menstrual cramps.
- Nettle leaves are a hair and skin nourisher ~ Add nettle juice to your hair rinse and drink daily. You will see your hair glossy, thick and vibrant!
- Nettle leaves and stalks are a prompt homeostatic (stopping bleeding)
- Nettle seeds are a thyroid helper
- Nettle seeds are a poison antidote
- Nettle seeds are a skin and scalp tonic
- Nettle seeds make a curative wine (I’ve made delicious Nettle Beer for joint health)
- Nettle root is a urinary system strengthener & stimulant
- Nettle root is an immune system & lymphatic strengthener
- Nettle root is a bit of first aid ~ Sipping nettle root decoction helps stop dysentery, loose bowels and diarrhea.